Photo gallery
Contact us

History of Wellington Place
Originally Wellington Street between Spadina and Portland was called Wellington Place. Today the name describes the neighbourhood bounded by Bathurst, King, Spadina and Front streets...

History of Victoria Memorial Square
Victoria Memorial Square is a community park and part of the Fort York National Historic Site. The Military Burying Ground that forms part of Victoria Memorial Square today was opened in 1794 or thereabouts...

The Monument
On Saturday, January 5, 1907, 70 veterans and many citizens gathered in Victoria Memorial Square to unveil the “Old Soldier” by the young sculptor Walter Allward, a memorial to honour the dead of the War of 1812...

Canadian Club of Toronto Plaques
As Stephen Otto has already noted, the "St. John's Square" plaque which was found at the base of the Allward monument in Victoria Square and which commemorates the first military burial ground in York may itself be worthy of commemoration...

St. John's the Evangelist (Garrison) Church
St. John's Anglican ("The Garrison") Church in its various forms perched on the north side of Victoria Square for a century and a quarter until 1985...

Robert Jameson's villa: An early house in the Wellington Place neighbourhood
Like the Australian bower bird that prepares a cosy nest to attract his mate, Robert Sympson Jameson put up an urbane little villa on Front Street, Toronto, in 1836-37 in anticipation of his wife's joining him in Canada...